Richardson Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium, serving as the home to Stephen B. Smith Field and Irwin Belk Track. Football and Lacrosse both compete on Smith Field.
Richardson Athletic Field had its inaugural season in 1923, due to the generous gift of Lunsford Richardson, Jr., Class of 1914 and Henry Smith Richardson, Class of 1906, in memory of their father, Lunsford Richardson, Sr., Class of 1875. The field contained two football fields, a baseball diamond and a quarter-mile cinder track.
In 1924, the stadium portion of the facility was built on brick and concrete construction. Temporary bleachers were added in the end zones.
Davidson added dressing room for the visiting team, fiberglass seats and a glass enclosed press box where it remains to this day in 1965.
A major overhaul to the facility occurred during the summer of 1991, where the field was renovated and expanded so soccer could play in the stadium, the permanent seating capacity was reduced to 6,000 and lights were installed.
The NCAA Men’s Soccer Championship was hosted by Davidson at Richardson Stadium for three consecutive years (1992-94), launching the College Cup to national attention. In 1994, the tourney drew a then-record crowd of 23,818 people in two days.
In 1998, Richardson Stadium underwent renovations to update the stadium. The field itself was overhauled and renamed the Stephen B. Smith Field in honor of Stephen Smith '66 trustee and former Wildcat football standout.
The Irwin Belk Track, featuring an eight-land 400-meter polyurethane track replaced the old cinder track, which has been reduced to four lanes with the expansion for soccer.
The track is named in honor of Mr. Irwin Belk '45, in recognition of his generous contributions as a community leader, sportsman and philanthropist. Additionally, renovations included bathrooms, additional locker rooms for officials, an equipment room, training room and updates to the current locker rooms.
In 2005, Richardson Stadium underwent another set of renovations, thanks to donations from alumni, parents and friends. Wilson Terrace, the Doe Weight Room, The Hubbard Family Locker Room and the Don Bryant Press Box were all added in 2005.
The official capacity of the stadium was expanded to 6,000. The old press box was refurbished for coaches, radio crews and video stream operations, while the Don Bryant Press Box has seating for 28 media members and game operations staff members. Additionally, the track was resurfaced.
In 2011, the natural playing surface of Stephen B. Smith Field was replaced with a synthetic turf.
During the summer of 2015, the Hubbard Family Locker Room was updated to include new carpet, lockers and a fueling station.